Followers

Friday, January 5, 2018

Willy Nilly Friday 5 No. 157

click on photos to enlarge
On Wednesday, our last day of Christmas Break, I took the boys and Kaile out for a little adventure...I had just read about this little mining town in Botetourt County called Spec...I hadn't heard of it before and it isn't even far from my house...I read about the old mine there and there's a trail people hike but what really piqued my interest was an old abandoned canning warehouse so we went in search of it!
1)
Spec was easy to find and this abandoned building was the first thing we saw when our gps told us we had arrived at our destination...I was so excited to check it out, but it doesn't really look like an old canning warehouse does it? We poked around for a while, took a lot of pictures, then headed down the road to see what else we could find...

2)
Whoa, whoa, whoa!! Wait a minute, what is that?! Not even a mile down the road is this old building...we were surprised that we didn't even notice it from the first building...Now THIS is definitely the canning warehouse! We were so excited to go investigate...we poked around for quite some time before jumping back in the car and see what else we could find!

3)
I guess we are now officially in Spec...let's turn here...

4)
These caught my eye...I really wanted to get out and walk around but we weren't sure if anyone was living in that big house so we didn't take any chances...it didn't seem like someone was living there but still...we didn't want to take any chances! So we drove a little bit further and Kaile yells from the backseat, "oh look, an old truck"...

5)
Wow! This is just parked on the side of a gravel road with a little river running next to it, which was frozen! While we were there taking pictures of it, a truck was coming down the road and pulled over...a really nice older gentleman told us "it's not for sale" haha...so I asked him if he knew anything about it and he said he's been living just up the road for about 10 years and it has been there the whole time but he didn't know anything more...told me this was the old stagecoach road and not far up the way was the old inn...I asked if we could drive up and see it and he said "sure, but you will be disappointed"...I thought, surely I won't be...but yeah, it really wasn't much haha...someone does live in it and it really just looks like any other old farmhouse...so he was kind of right haha....it was getting late and I had told Ashlyn I would bring her Christmas stocking stuff by before she had to head to work (I had forgotten to give it to her on Christmas)...so we turned around and went downtown to Ashlyn's...and since we were downtown we of course had to run into our favorite pizza spot Benny's for a slice...then back home we went...it was a really fun day!

I of course have SO many pictures of the stuff we saw and will share with you at Tom's Tuesday's Treasures! Don't want to give it all away in one post...that would be a really, really long post! ;)

That's my 5 friends!! I hope you will join in too! Post 5 randoms, link back and visit others!! Stay warm and have a great weekend!!


School was cancelled today because of this freezing weather...the wind has it feeling in the negative!!



12 comments:

  1. ...neat stuff, reminds me of Barry McGuire - Eve Of Destruction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent winter pictures, Tanya. Are you as cold as I am? Dang it's cold out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woho, looks like a great adventure, wish, I were there... I'm curios to see more photos.
    Happy healthy New Year

    Please delete my first link, I took a misstake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun adventure! I love the truck. Thanks for hosting and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well worn structures, Tanya!

    Here we're at -24C at the moment, with windchills going down to -39.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always fun to explore new places!
    Have a wonderful week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first building looks like it could have been a little church. I just LOVE doing things like this! Amazing that this car has been there for TEN years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is Spec like a speck on the map? ;-)
    Love the truck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed this post. The encounter with the fella about the truck is neat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what an adventure! Just the kind of stuff I love to do! I loved every photo, and would have been right there beside you taking shots myself. :-) I especially loved the old truck...and the old houses. I wonder if that first little house was where the old folks lived when the kids had the big house many years ago, and now the little one is abandoned when the old folks died and the bigger one was lived in maybe till ten or twenty years ago. So interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos and I love your narrative, too. How cool that the guy stopped to talk about the truck!
    I tried to link up a few days ago and again today, but neither link showed up :(
    If you could add it, that would be great--you can title it 'bettyl - NZ'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://myworldthrumycameralens.blogspot.co.nz/2018/01/dawson-falls-mountain-lodge.html

      Delete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)